Monasterio de la Cartuja
Avd. Americo Vespucio, 2
Telf.: 955 03 70 70
De Martes a Viernes de 10:00 a 20:00
Sábado de 11:00 a 20:00 y
Domingos de 10:00 a 15:00
The Cartusian monastery of Santa María de las Cuevas is situated on the right bank of the Guadalquivir river. Due to the abundance of clay, numerous pottery kilns were installed during the Almohad dynasty of the 12th century. On these grounds a Cartusian monastery was built in the 15th century with the name of Santa María de las Cuevas (Caves).
In 1810, during the invasion of Napoleon's troops, the monks were driven out of the monastery and it was taken over by the French soldiers as the military barracks.